Monday, March 2, 2009
Experiencing New Culture
Najma and Sana are in our ward here in Kirksville. They sit in Sacrament meeting every Sunday and play with Peyson from across the isle, waving and smiling and playing games. They absolutely love him, and like us ok too...haha. A few weeks ago,we were privileged to be invited to their home for dinner. I was very excited, but very hesitant, being from Wyoming where there is very little opportunity to experience different cultures,especially Indian, and also enjoying VERY plain foods. But I was excited to try something new. I went over early and observed a little while Najma prepared dinner. She was cooking with a million things I had never seen before or even heard of. And she used every bit if that chicken except the skin! As I was watching her add everything together I thought I might go hungry. But I kept an open mind. I got to listen to some really cool Hindi music...I didn't understand a word, but it was so cool! I also got to spend some time with Sana, while chasing Peyson around the house. She is 11. She is so funny and extremely smart! She made me laugh so much. Then it was time for dinner. There were 10 of us there together to enjoy this 5 course meal. I took some of everything...even the dish with the whole chicken...:) Najma warned that she kept the spices mild for those of us were not used to it. I took a bight and was convinced she made a mistake. If that was mild, I couldn't imagine what spicy meant to her! But I must admit, fearing I wouldn't like any of it...I loved every bight. I even took seconds of the not so mild dish! It was very delightful to experience such a wonderful meal from another culture. I was very impressed with the eating technique Sana had mastered. Her plate was spotless, she was spotless, and she used her FINGERS the entire meal. Something I couldn't accomplish even with my fork. This Wyoming girl absolutely loved the experience of a new culture and hope there are more opportunities in the future!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Maybe you'll have to make some Indian food for us :)
Post a Comment