Friday, April 6, 2012

Moab

I have the coolest calling in church!  I get to hang out with the Young Women.  The Laurels and Priests had a combined activity in Moab and I got to go!  Derek was done with rotations and stayed home with the kids while I spent 4 days playing with these awesome kids!

On Monday we FROZE.  It was really windy and not very warm at all but we tried to have fun anyway.  Repelling was on the agenda.  When I was in young women's we did this one year for camp.  I totally chickened out and stayed at the bottom.  This time I faced my fears and went for it.  Kinda:)  If that's what you want to call it.  I put on a harness and some gloves.  I got attached to the rope and put complete faith and trust in Slade.  He was the brains of the operation.  When I backed up to the edge I totally froze.  Even with step by step guidance I could not move.  And wouldn't you know, I find myself yelling, "I AM TOTALLY FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!"  Once he convinced me to just take one more step, I was over that freaking scary edge and the rest was cake.  I did it!  And that was enough for me.  But of course I got crap for that the rest of the week:)

The next day was biking and hiking. I really hate riding bikes. It hurts my butt and makes my legs tired basically from the start. But mountain trails are so awesome. I really enjoy it. Anyway, we did an 11 mile trail of rocks and sand and it was soooooooo fun! I was glad I was wearing a helmet when a random tree branch almost took my head off. Had to put the helmet back on after that. Yikes. 





When we finished the trail we went up the road a ways to Dead Horse Point. Amazing views.

It was still early in the day so we decided to go hiking as well. We loaded up and headed to the Delicate Arch.



At points in the trail I wondered how anybody ever found this location.  But it was beautiful.

When the day was over I realized how much I got my butt kicked.  I can't remember the last time I had this much exercise in such a short time. . .if ever.  By dinner I was limping around with pain from my foot to my thigh (Stupid toe.  Stupid 3 year injury.).  My entire body ached.  I am sure I was the first person in bed.  But by morning I was good as new.

Day 3 was more relaxed but equally as fun. We went to watch the "jeep show" at Potato Salad Hill. While we were there, there was only one jeep that climbed the rocks. It was super cool but not really worth the wait. It was hot and boring:)




There were no more jeeps in sight so we went to the sand hill. So fun! So huge! So out of shape! 




That rock was huge!  And the cool thing was to jump off it.  So I took the pictures.  But I couldn't just watch. . .I had to be the cool leader and break my body with them.  That is exactly what I did.  In mid air I wondered why I decided to jump.  I screamed like a little girl and landed with a thud.  Ouch!  Like. . .really.

After we covered ourselves in sand we went to the pool.  And we finally got a shower!  The pool was also fun.  Of course.  There was a cool slide.  There were two diving boards.  Basically this trip I realized how big of a baby I really am.  After a bazillion times down the slide me and Raquel decided to go off the diving boards.  Neither of us had ever done the tall one so we picked it first.  Crazy!  I went first.  Ahhhhhh!  I walked along the board, holding the rails.  When the rails stopped I did too. . .um. . .why?  Why did I do this?  I got to the edge and froze.  All the girls started cheering when I realized I had to jump.  And so I did.  And it totally sucked.  I am guessing it was only 10 ft but that was the longest fall ever and when I hit I wanted to cry.  See?  Big baby.  So I decided that maybe the shorter one would be better.  But for some reason I decided to pretend I was a diver that did the double jump at the end before they dove.  I nearly missed on the double jump, my timing was not there.  It looks so easy.  Lets just say I am a lame-o and should not step on another board. . .ever.

When we got back to camp dinner wasn't quite ready so we ran back up to Potato Salad Hill. It was packed and totally awesome! Some people are crazy!





Our last day in Moab was short. We spent the morning at the Fiery Furnace. It's really amazing how fun climbing a bunch of massive stacked rocks can be. This, of course, scared me to death in some parts. But I made it out alive.

And that was the end of an amazing week.  Putting 12 girls in a camper, doing activities that stretch your little bubble, and lots of driving bond people together.  I had a great bonding experience with these amazing youth.  Their examples are perfect.  Their testimonies are so strong.  I love 'em to death.

1 comment:

Angie said...

And they were all lucky to have you there as their fearless leader. How fun and adventurous! I didn't realize you were going. We are all going to miss having you around when you move on to bigger and better things... tear tear