This last weekend the weather man said it was supposed to blizzard in Amarillo. 14-16 inches. Snow hardly stays in Amarillo for more than a day. And when more than a few inches is predicted, we are lucky if any sticks at all. So I was not expecting waking up to mass chaos Monday morning.
I was supposed to teach preschool at my house this week. Sunday night, one of the moms asked one of the other moms if we should cancel. At this point no snow had fallen. I was teasing them about it and said, "If your front door is blocked by snow, you DON'T have to come to preschool." This is what we woke up to.
We did not have preschool :)
The town was shut down! Stores were closing early because they were out of groceries. The night shift labor and delivery residents had to stay and work the day shift because they couldn't get home, nor could the day shift get in to work. Clinics were closed. People stayed HOME.
Derek didn't have to go into work for 2 days! I had no idea doctors got snow days. So it was pretty awesome. And since we don't have a snow shovel we couldn't go anywhere. Not for a lack of trying. Derek tried twice Monday to get out. He couldn't make it anywhere in the alley. Last time it snowed the serpentine belt busted. It took him 6 hours to put a new one on. . .so we avoided that catastrophe and let the car rest. We borrowed a shovel from our neighbor and Derek worked all afternoon to clear our drifted snow hill driveway. I played with the kids.
Cute little pink marshmallow!
I dug a snow tunnel for Peyson. Through the drift on our driveway.
Then we found this HUGE drift across the alley.
And this was what the side of our house looked like. . .
There was snow everywhere. And there still is. Though it's starting to melt.
Because it doesn't snow a lot, or often her in Texas, there isn't much of a need to employ or pay for snow plows. I guess when there is 0 visibility they don't do much good anyway. So while the snow flew and the plows waited, this is what happened. . .
People couldn't see. Got their cars stuck. Abandoned their cars. And waited for morning. And plows. Who couldn't plow. Because of abandoned cars. Funny I think.
Tuesday, Derek headed to the store and stocked up on shovels. He spent most of the day helping cars get unstuck on our street. And shoveling out our alley. He's pretty amazing. I kinda like him a lot. Today is business as usual.
.jpg)










2 comments:
What made people think they could drive in that!? So funny!
That is so AWESOME! Lucky you. We just keep getting rain, and I live in a part of the country that SHOULD be getting snow. That tunnel looked amazing.
Post a Comment