Thursday, May 30, 2013

An Amarillo Tornado

It was 11:00pm.  I just got out of the shower.  Derek was sleeping on the couch.  I woke him up so we could go to bed.  I got a drink and thought I heard sirens.  I opened the back door and sure enough, sirens were blaring.  I had no idea bad weather was coming.  All afternoon the wind was blowing like crazy.  The wall of dust left a nice surprise in our front entry way.

Our new tree was trying to touch the ground.  The wind chimes blew off the hook.  It rained some.  And then everything stopped.  The calm before the storm I suppose.  So the sirens took me completely off guard.  I asked Derek to check the weather.  He told me to get the kids but I didn't want to wake them up and freak them out.  He told me again to get the kids.  So we each grabbed a babe and took them to our bed until we could figure out what to do.  Derek turned the weather channel on and stepped outside to check things out.  I watched the news.  They started showing a map of the city.  They said our area needed to take cover NOW. . .that we were in IMMEDIATE DANGER!  Our only rooms that aren't on exterior walls are the bathroom and the laundry room closet.  We grabbed the crib mattresses and laid them across the washer and drier and climb in underneath.  It was really hard to NOT freak out!

Imagine me and Derek in there with them.  Tight fit FOR SURE.  Except for the second I had to run Peyson to the bathroom, we were in there for an hour.  The TV kept cutting in and out and as the storm moved through town the reporters got more and more excited.  Hail was reported. 
Taken at the hospital

We heard what sounded like a bit of hail.  And then the storm expired.  We crawled out and found everything just fine.  Except for the trampoline.  The trampoline took flight. . .we would have to find it in the morning.  We laid the mattresses on our bedroom floor for the kids to sleep on and we all spent the night in the same room together. 

The next morning I decided to step outside to see if anything in our small little world changed.  And that is when I saw it.  Just across the street.  Lodged up against our neighbor's fence stood our flying trampoline.  All I could do was giggle.  So I grabbed my phone and the kids and we went to see the damage.  Peyson was CRUSHED!  He was ready to plan a funeral.  And a replacement.  Poor little guy.  We left it there for a better part of the day.  It was pretty windy and I didn't want to blow away trying to move it.  Eventually I dragged it across the street and in between our house and the neighbors.  Daddy was able to salvage everything but the net and bars.  And now it is tied up to the fence.
That night we tried to figure out how it flew over our house and across the street.  And then we found the evidence of its path.  It tore the end cap off the roof trim.  Scuffed the trim in a few places.  Tore off a few shingles on our roof and our neighbor's roof.  It did a good bang up job on the fence where it landed as well.  We can't figure out how it missed the 3 windows and our fence.  Weather is wild!  We didn't get hail.  We didn't even hear it.  It was just our trampoline taking flight!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: