When I first found out the SAA (Student Advocate Association-school club for medical school student significant others)was hosting a 5K/10K run, I thought to myself...who would want to pay to run in a race that was more than three miles at the minimum? It was totally out of the question. A few weeks later, one of the girls in charge of the race wooed me with her magical powers. The next thing I knew, I was signing up, PAYING to run a 5K! Then instead of just running to drop the last of my extra baby weight, I was running to get in shape for a race I hadn't come close to training for SINCE MY JUNIOR YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL. Remembering how I hated running for competition then, I decided not to make any goals, accept just to finish. I knew I could accomplish that, and it put no stress on me to prove myself to...well...myself. I was just going to have fun.
The day of the race came, and it was like high school track all over again. Breakfast?...nope...that wasn't happening...warm ups?...nope...not that either. I couldn't believe how nervous I was for a silly race that didn't mean a thing. I guess that's the Hoopes in me. I thought I could have no expectations, but man I really wanted to win.
The 10K runners started ahead of us. All I had to do was catch and pass some of them. All the 5K runners were so confused so I got a good start and saw everybody I was up against. A few guys passed me, along with one girl. I knew who I had to stay with. I passed her before the 1st mile, 7 minutes wasn't bad. Unfortunately she passed me after the 2nd mile. I thought to myself...I have a bad kick...I need to stay with her if I am going to beat her. She slowly moved farther and farther ahead of me. I had no strength to catch her. Oh wait...I got close...but she heard me coming...and off she went. The gold was out of reach.
I crossed the finish line in 5fth place behind 3 guys and one girl with a time of 24:08. Not bad. 2nd place...even better. The satisfaction of not only completing the race, but actually placing...who would have thought? I amazed myself. Then I remembered why I hated running for competition...the nerves...the pain...the exhaustion...uhh! The results were more than I expected...but I think I will keep my running a leisure activity for a really long time!
No comments:
Post a Comment