"I've been here my whole life and we have never had one touch down."
"There are too many hills for a funnel cloud to form."
"Don't worry about the sirens, they go off for no reason."
Famous last words? We hear the locals make comments like these all the time. So when the rain started last night we didn't think anything of it. It rains here all the time. When phone calls from worried friends came, we thought nothing of it. Derek was watching TV, I was doing dishes. It was just a gloomy evening as far as we were concerned. Naive we were, while just a mile away, many lives were turned up side down.
A home where 2nd year medical school students were having a party after a huge final.
Our friends home...the roof is completely gone!
Their roof went through this home.
What the tornado left behind.
It puts a whole new meaning to sun roof.
We were blessed to miss the storm. Those who were affected were blessed with their lives. The results of the storm make me stop and think about what is really important in life. Everything you have can be taken from you in a matter of minutes. Even your own life. It is in these situations that you treasure those near and dear to your heart, and be thankful that there is still life to live.
3 comments:
I remember making some of those same comments before a tornado hit our neighborhood May 22nd of last year. A tornado could never hit Laramie! Crazy! Thank you for sharing your thoughts (and pictures) from that scary day, Laura.
I'm glad you all are safe and well! What a blessing that no one was hurt!
Wow Laura... I'm so glad you are all right... very blessed for sure!
Post a Comment