Friday, October 28, 2011

Pull My Hair Out!

My little 3 year old Peyson has learned the art of hiding toys instead of putting them away. I remember those days. . .or at least I understand them. I like to think I never did this. . .but I do remember my brothers and my mom going at it. . .this same game Peyson and I are playing today.

Peyson was sent to his room probably 2 hours ago. I told him to clean it up. . .nearly all his toys were on the floor. It was Ainslee's nap time. I figured he could accomplish this task that we do multiple times each day in the time it would take baby girl to drink a bottle and escape to dream land.

When she was soundly sleeping I took her into her crib. . .darn that it is also in his disaster of a room. He was hiding in a corner. . .no progress. I told him to pick up his toys and do it right and do it now. I vacuumed. He came to tell me it was done so I went to check. I found his toy buckets empty but the floor was clean. The toys were stuffed in a corner. So I threw them all out into the middle of the room and told him to try again. (Not so kindly. . .of course. . .I am the QUEEN of freak out)

I heard what sounded like cleaning and sorting. Dinosaurs go in the dinosaur bucket. Animals go in the animal bucket. Cars go in the car bucket. He once again came to get me. I asked if he did things right and he looked me straight in the eye and said yes. So I went to check. Buckets still empty. I looked at him and he looked in the direction of his next hiding spot. Under his blankets on the bed. Yep. . .they got thrown to the floor. . .again.

Some whiny echoed down the hall. Then another report. I returned to the bedroom. No buckets. . .so I looked under the bed. Half full buckets with scattered toys hiding behind. Yes. . .another unsuccessful attempt to trick mommy. But remember. . .I watched my mom play the same game. I know how to be thorough.

Finally the toys have been sorted and put away correctly. I may be a little anal. . .but my way of organization has proven time and again to be valid. When Peyson can't find a toy all I have to say is. . .go look in the "whatever" bucket. If it isn't there it is because it wasn't put away right to begin with. Done right translates to less whining at the very moment he must have a certain toy and no other will do.

But for today. . .in this game of hide and seek. . .which is NOT fun. . .I am ready to pull my hair out! I wonder if it really is worth it? (I think yes)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Moms are admirable.

~Bethany