Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Miracle Happened Today

Derek is one week into his ER rotation. Today he worked from 6:00am-4:30pm. He was getting ready to leave for work this morning when Peyson woke up. Derek told him to go back to bed, but he wanted to snuggle mommy instead. I love mornings like this. Peyson goes back to sleep instead of watching tv, playing with toys (loudly), raiding the kitchen for food, and waking up Ainslee. So we slept well into the morning (considering small children are involved). Ok it was like 7:40 when Ainslee starting calling (and that is sleeping in for me considering the 6:00 wake up call to go P90X2 it every morning). Right about then Derek texted me because he forgot his stethoscope and needed me to bring it.
So we got up, ate breakfast, made a shopping list, got ready, and were out the door. I loaded the kids in the car when I realized I forgot Ainslee's bottle. I knew she would need it because we always seem to run errands during nap time. I ran back in to get it.
We were almost to the hospital. I was coming down a hill and the light was turning yellow. I was going fast enough that I was just going to go through it instead of working hard to stop. Then a car went flying by, running its red light. There was a cop car stopped at the same red light who immediately took off after. I was forced to stop then so I wouldn't hit the cop.
It wasn't some life or death situation. I was able to stop just past the cross walk. By then my light was red. I watched the cop follow the car and pull them over. I turned my attention to my thoughts and realized I was less than 10 seconds away from being smashed at the intersection. Imagine if I had been a few seconds ahead. . .suppose I didn't run back in to get the bottle. . .
Tears came to my eyes. I was a little shaken. I said a silent prayer. A prayer of gratitude for my safety and my kid's safety. I don't even want to think about what it would have been like for us to meet Derek in the ER in an ambulance rather than our own car.
Then life went on as normal. But a miracle happened today.

3 comments:

Brendon said...

I am amazed how many times our guardian angels protect us, especially in our cars.
-Steph

Chelsea and Greg Sloat said...

Wow...here I am teary again! First Courtney's blog, now yours! That is so neat :)

Jill said...

look at how big your cuties are!! Hope you guys are doing great!