Saturday, February 18, 2012

Scared to Death I'm Sure

Two nights ago Peyson and I went to pick up dinner. Soda first, then pizza. I am fully aware of how often we do this. But we like it. A lot. And we don't like cooking all the time. . .ever really. . .AnYwAy. We stopped at the "mug store" to get gas and soda (it's not the gas station because we hardly ever stop for gas. . .but a mug. . .yes. . .the mug store).

We were filling up with soda when Peyson asked if we had any candy at home. I said no. He said we really needed to buy some. I said no, we didn't need any. So I'm at the check out counter, talking to the cashier. Of course there are those obnoxious candy bar stands right at the check out right at a child's eye level, mind you, that get you to buy something ridiculously overpriced because you already fought the temptation throughout the store but you have to stand in line and wait and stare at them until you either give in and buy something or finally pay and leave. Peyson was eyeing them. I was paying close enough attention to him to know he was right by me and not lost or stolen, but not close enough to notice that he reached for a candy bar in said obnoxious candy bar stand. Keep in mind. . .everybody has agency. . .no matter how awesome. . .or not awesome their parents are.

I finish paying and turn around to leave and Peyson was standing there with is hands behind his back. I said let's go and took a step to the door and he turned so I couldn't see what was behind his back. He does this at home sometimes when he is doing something he knows he shouldn't, so I knew what was happening. I told him to put it back and he did. We got to the car and I sat him in his seat. I told him quite sternly that what he was about to do was called steeling and that it was against the law. We have to pay for things before we take them from the store. He was sad and embarrassed and also mad that he couldn't have a candy bar. I'm not sure he was listening because he turned his head to the blaring lights on the cop cars that sped by.

TEACHING OPPORTUNITY!

As I was somewhere in the middle of my "I'm trying to teach you something important so I'll repeat myself 17 times in a different way so you will get it" ramble, explaining to Peyson what steeling was and why it was bad, when those cops rudely interrupted me:) So I said, "do you want those cops to come and take you to jail?" That caught his attention and he turned to me with scared little eyes and said no. I told him that when people steel the cops have to come and take them to jail. His eyes filled with tears and he began to sob. . .then cry. . .out loud. . .very loud. . .near hysterics. I was like. . .whoa whoa whoa. . .what's wrong? Crying so hard he said, I don't wanna go to jail! I was like dude, you didn't steel, I saw before we left the store and made you put it back. It's ok. You aren't going to jail, but if you ever steel then that is what will happen.

OH. BOY.

He finally calmed down after a few minutes on the way to get pizza. I told him I loved him and always would. No matter what.

Maybe it was a little over the top. Maybe it scared him enough to never steel. Maybe he just thinks I'm a big jerk. I don't know. Whatever he thinks, I'm sure he was scared to death!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally awesome! Way to use the cops to your advantage! :) Scar or no scar...lesson learned.

Angie said...

So funny! I'm sure he will remember it forever and then pull it out for you when he is about 14 and remind you that he was scared to death! Tayler just told me yesterday that she remembered that I told her you HAD to put the toast in one side and not the other.... or "it would start a fire". Now I don't remember that, but she said she never dared try it in the other side of the toaster until like last year. Then she told me that Shane had put a belt on her once and she asked why she couldn't thread it through the other way... she says he said becuase if you do that it will get stuck for ever. And she thinks about that everytime she sees a belt. The things kids remember!!

Anonymous said...

Funny! Good job, I think. At the store where I work we catch at least one thief per month. They get into so much trouble for little things. Was that bottle of medicine worth it? That candybar? It's incredibly stupid of them. A boy who was about 10 stole some gum once~come to find out, his mother taught him how to do it. Crazy! A lot of the thieves I've seen caught are kids and teenagers. It's also very difficult to trust someone once they've stolen. You're instilling morals and building a strong person. I think when the day comes that maybe Peyson's friends pressure him to steal with them, he will do the right thing.

~Bethany