Thursday, August 16, 2012

He's Doing It

Two Christmases ago Peyson got a bike.
Because it was still winter the bike stayed in the basement.  We were down cleaning one day and he wanted to ride it so I let him.  But then he crashed when he tried to turn.  Totally freaked him out.  He lost interest.

Last Christmas he got a Radio Rider.
He couldn't ride it.  The angle was funky.  He wasn't strong enough to peddle.  He hated it.  So it also sat in the basement.

This summer we moved.  We started going to play group.  Peyson made friends with older boys who could ride a bike without training wheels.  He was still scared to death of his big bike so he decided to brave the Radio Rider.
He totally rocks it.  Up and down our long sidewalk.  Even swerving at a corner to see how far he can ride without peddling.  One day he rode it all the way to the park.  He felt pretty awesome.  I felt like we were moving up in the world.  No more fighting over who is on who's side in the double stroller.  It rocks.

We take the little trike to play group now.  But the big kids are way faster on their bikes than Peyson on his trike.  So I talked him into practicing his big bike.  Just for a minute.  We ended up spending hours outside, sweating our faces off in 95* weather, up and down the sidewalk, practicing.  Peyson rode.  I held Ainslee and walked behind him in case his peddle fell off or he stopped on the uphill and started rolling backwards or to turn his bike around.  It was hot. 
But it was the most fulfilled I have felt in a long time.  I was teaching a skill.  Peyson was learning a skill.  And everybody was happy.  It was a miracle.  And then it ended :)  Peyson got whiny so I told him to play by himself.  So he did.  It was another miracle.  He had to learn how to start without a push.  He had to turn his bike around.  He had to peddle even when it was hard.  And now he is a pro.
Kinda :)  He is slow but he is DOING IT!  Finally!  It's like freedom.  And he is so proud.

Today he rode all the way to the park and nearly the whole time we were there.  And I didn't mind it one bit because the storm that came through last night cooled off this desert place and we didn't sweat our faces off.  Not even for a second.

2 comments:

Angela S said...

Jimmy says, "I love you and its cool that you can ride a bigger training wheel bike. I am so proud of you!"

Tyler says, "I miss you."

Way to go momma! That is awsome!

Lorinda said...

Awesome! So fun to watch kids do new things!