Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Take 3

Take 1: When we moved to Logan I figured it would be a big enough shock for Peyson that adding potty training to the list would be no big deal. We bought fun Cars underwear and plastic sheets for the bed and went to work...but then the little dude got sick and I was not about to clean up diarrhea underwear or floor stains. Then I found out I was pregnant and morning sickness kicked in hard core and I was not about to make that any worse than it needed to be or already was.

Take 2: I really wanted to get Peyson potty trained before this baby arrives...so before Christmas we went to the store and picked out some soldier toys so when he was a big boy and peed in the potty he could pick a toy. He was really excited about these while we were at the store and thought he would just get them when we got home. But when we told him he had to potty to get any he sat on the potty and pushed really hard and would start crying saying it was too hard (because he didn't have to go). Then he lost interest altogether and stopped asking for the toys. He clearly was not ready. I gave up on the idea of potty training before baby. And I figured there was still a good chance that if he did accomplish it before then, he may revert back when the baby does come home and want to wear diapers again.

Take 3: More often than necessary I will find that Peyson has had a dirty diaper for far too long and will be so sore and needing cream. I am talking freak out deadly screams and thrashing to avoid being cleaned-sore. I don't understand why he won't tell me when he is dirty so I can change it before he gets sore. Anyway...the other day I was getting ready for church and he yelled...mommy...their's poop in my diaper. I got up in a hurry so happy that he told me. Then I found him naked in the living room...diaper and jammies nowhere in sight. OH NO! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? He pointed to the bathroom. I found his jammies on the floor next to his dirty diaper that was neatly laid on the floor next to his potty. I was about to freak out but when I saw that he tried to go potty all by himself I was nearly giddy. I asked him if he had to go potty and sat him down. I told him to stay there and try a little longer so I could throw away his diaper. When I came back he was standing and pointing and saying...I pooped in the potty...see mom! Yeah!!!!!

So I guess we are doing this. It was Peyson's idea...I was ready to wait till baby was home and settled. But this works too. I hope:) Yesterday had a lot of messes but I was shockingly calm. Today he made a tiny mess and finished in the potty. WOOHOO! He totally got a toy!

I am told and have found that boys need more reminding when learning so when I was putting his undies on this morning, this was our conversation...

me-where do we poop?
peyson-in the potty!
me-where do we pee?
peyson-on the floor!
me-wait...what? where do we pee?
peyson-i dunno!

I repeated the instructions until he was sure that we pee in the potty:)

2 comments:

Angie said...

Yahoo! Go Peyson! (And Laura :))

Morgan said...

hehe! yeah!