Peyson really loves going to nursery. A lot. After church I always ask him what he learned and usually the response is "pay wiff da tigers...raaarrr!" But when he actually started telling me what he learned I decided it was time we start having Family Home Evening. No more slackin.
While we were home for Christmas Break I asked my mom if she had any good books I could borrow. I found a picture book called "My First Book of Mormon" so I opened it up and took a look. The wheels started turning...this was our new FHE lesson book.
Last week was our first try at this new part of our routine. It was rough. Close to bedtime says it all. Anyway. We learned about Lehi's dream of the tree of life and the iron rod. After the story I got out the "iron rod" (the broom handle), we turned off the lights, and we held on to the iron rod to reach the tree of life where Lehi (daddy) was waiting with the delicious fruit of the tree (sour patch kids). Peyson thought I was insane for playing with the broom handle. He didn't like the dark. And sour patch kids are "too sourd" so he didn't want any. Then there was a crazy fit and a quick wrap up and our first go was somewhat successful. At least we made it through:)
This week I looked at the book ahead of time and got an idea and a super plan. We went to the dollar store and came home with a bow and arrow toy set.
While we were home for Christmas Break I asked my mom if she had any good books I could borrow. I found a picture book called "My First Book of Mormon" so I opened it up and took a look. The wheels started turning...this was our new FHE lesson book.
Last week was our first try at this new part of our routine. It was rough. Close to bedtime says it all. Anyway. We learned about Lehi's dream of the tree of life and the iron rod. After the story I got out the "iron rod" (the broom handle), we turned off the lights, and we held on to the iron rod to reach the tree of life where Lehi (daddy) was waiting with the delicious fruit of the tree (sour patch kids). Peyson thought I was insane for playing with the broom handle. He didn't like the dark. And sour patch kids are "too sourd" so he didn't want any. Then there was a crazy fit and a quick wrap up and our first go was somewhat successful. At least we made it through:)
This week I looked at the book ahead of time and got an idea and a super plan. We went to the dollar store and came home with a bow and arrow toy set.
We learned about when Lehi's family was in the wilderness and Nephi's bow broke and they couldn't hunt for food so they were all hungry and began to murmur. All accept Nephi. So he made a new bow and asked Lehi where to go hunting. Lehi repented for murmuring and asked the Lord where to send Nephi.(Tigger stepped in as our wild animal:) )
We all took turns. Lots of turns. We had a successful hunt and Nephi's family ate very well:) We closed FHE and continued to shoot Tigger till Peyson got it down with very little help from me.
You hear testimonies over and over of how the simple things of the gospel strengthen your family. And all they are to you are silly repetitions that define Mormon behavior...that is...until...you gain the testimony for yourself. Even after our very rough 1st FHE I felt peace all week because we are trying to do what we have been counselled to do to strengthen our family. And with every week, it will get better...it already has. Soon it will be what we do each Monday night and glitches will be few and far between.
I love seeing Peyson learn, but it's ten times better when what he is learning is brought to pass by the Spirit.
2 comments:
we have been doing fhe since we were married, and it got so much harder when we had kids! i know i just have to stick with it, and they will learn to love it, and learn so much!
good luck!
Those are fantastic ideas! Good luck...
We bought a nursery lesson book from Desert Book. It has pictures and lessons to go with them. While we teach the lesson we let our kids color the picture. They really like it. They're short and sweet too!
Post a Comment