Saturday, January 22, 2011

Resolutions

Nobody can escape the chatter of New Years Resolutions. I find it interesting that a lot of the time, change of any kind isn't considered until the day we are scribbling out last years date and replacing it with the new. But in a way it's good because maybe we would forget altogether to step back to make sure we are in check with the person we want to be. I love to hear others' resolutions. I find interest in the things they feel are important to improve on. But I believe that if change must be made, it isn't magically revealed when the new year hits.

Nevertheless, reading or hearing about the things people want to change in their own lives makes me stop and think of what I would like to change or improve for myself. Not only the resolutions of others, but also books I have read where character flaws are the flaws I see in me, local news tragedies where lives were lost too soon, views about me from family members that offend me because they are true, opinions from friends, and my own on-going goals make me reflect on the things I need to improve on.

Being a mother has taught me a lot of things. And will continue to until...well...forever.
*Children become restless and grumpy when they are tired
*No matter how or what you teach your children, they still get to choose to act the way they want
*Children imitate what they see and hear
*Nice voices don't always work in every situation
*They have more energy than I can dream up
*They don't know everything you know, so you can't expect them to
*They love you more than you know
*Only in your dreams are there perfect children:)

The list goes on, we all know. But the one thing they all have in common is this. The only way to understand or handle the wonders of parenthood is through patience; patience with your children, patience with yourself, patience with others. Of all the things I could learn as a mother, the most important is one thing I've learned about me. And that one thing is my life long resolution...learn patience.

There is so much in this world to love. And it is really so easy. But without patience, those wonderful things cannot be seen. I don't have patience...at...all! And with that, there are a ton of not so lovely traits that accompany. If you tried to describe me in a word, easily you could use complainer! I won't sugar coat anything or pretend my life is perfect, that is for sure...but if patience was one of my talents, I would be able to look for the good in all things. And I wouldn't annoy myself with my complaints. But I have my moments where patience succeeds and I taste of the true happiness and love this world has to offer. I crave those moments like an addict craves their drug of choice.

And so, while the world starts out on their resolutions, and as statistics show, they will have been failed and forgotten by March, I will still continue to learn patience, failing daily, but not forgetting, always striving to add to my list of talents, patience.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Very well written, Laura. Love it!