Saturday, March 17, 2012

Match Day

Derek thought it only made sense to do the DO match because after all, he went to a DO school. He did an outrageous amount of "Internet research" and thought he had his #1 program figured out. He did 2 1/2 months of out rotations and decided his "#1" was a HECK NO! He submitted interview applications, then weeks later decided last minute to submit some with MD programs. He had lots of interviews and found that in fact the MD programs were where he wanted to be. Good thing for last minute decisions that seem ridiculous:) After lots of praying and freaking out, we decided that even though he had at least 3 DO programs tell him he would be ranked, we should skip the DO match and go for the MD match, where we ONLY had 3 programs to rank. Aaaahhhh! Once the decision was made we had peace of mind. Well. . .I had peace of mind. . .Derek changed his rank list pretty much every day.
Then finally, our match list went like this:
Saginaw, Michigan
Amarillo, Texas
Kansas City, Missouri
I was thrilled to find out Saginaw had an association called "Med Mates" that was similar to the SAA in Kirksville. I was in touch with the president and she gave me a ton of useful information like where to live, what schools to attend, things to do, what life would be like as a resident's wife, everything. We searched for housing, decided NOT to buy, memorized all the rental listings, planned to drive there around graduation to find a place to live, I even bought snow clothes for the kids for next year's Michigan winter:)
We found out on a Monday that we matched!!!! We had to wait till Friday to find out WHERE. During the week Derek kept saying, "I bet we go to Texas. . .but I think I am just preparing myself for NOT getting #1." Peyson had a doctors appointment on Friday morning. I was sitting in the waiting room, chasing Ainslee, reading to Peyson, when the text came. This is how it went:
D-Texas
Me-For real?
D-Yep, for real.
Me-You aren't kidding me?
D-No. No kidding here.
Me-So if I shout it to the world I won't be lying?
D-NO (followed by an email of the results)
Me-OK. . .yeah. . .we matched. . .we are moving to Texas:)
I kept waiting for the real text to come. . .remember. . .he kept saying he was thinking Texas. . .but I was sold on Saginaw?
And so. . .I think I was in shock. . .like. . .all day. Not in a bad way. Just surprised and not prepared for life in Texas. We are super excited!!!! And now. . .I am dreading finding a place to live. . .packing up my house. . .making home of a place I have never been. . .again. Sigh. This is a good thing. This is a great thing. Sigh.
We really are excited.
BTW. . .the average high in Amarillo in December is 50*. 50*! Not sure I'll be needing those snow suits. . .much:)

1 comment:

ACDC said...

haha, when i found out we were moving to Amarillo, I started buying all sorts of warm clothes for E for winter b/c I knew it would be colder here than Houston. We even got a snow suit from my sister for the one or two times it snows :)