Today I was sitting in the WIC office waiting for my appointment. A woman had already gone in before me, and a younger girl came in after me. She was very pregnant. The woman came out of her appointment and asked the younger girl, who she seemed to know, if she had all the things she needed for the little boy inside her belly. The young girl talked in excitement about finding a bassinet and a pack n play at a garage sale, and a few hand me down clothes from friends. I displaced myself from the conversation as they continued talking and played that part back in my mind over and over again. I pictured this girl driving around to peoples' homes in search of a bed fit for an infant. I wondered what it was like to be excited to find baby accessories that had been used for who knows how many other children before.
My mind wandered to the time in my life when I found out I was going to be a mother. I was working and had a very nice income to support the needs of a child. I was a first time mother that wanted the best and most beautiful for my first baby. Things that would more than suit his needs and last through all of my future children. I did not spend as much as I could have, I didn't require expensive brands or fancy labels. But I was able to buy everything NEW.
My thoughts returned to the waiting room where I re-realized, as I do every time I go to WIC, that I have a very blessed life. My clothes are clean, and for the most part, new. They may not be worth a million dollars, and they almost always come from the clearance racks, but I enjoy them. My car is not brand new, but it isn't stained with rust around the wheels, the paint isn't sun bleached and chipping. It doesn't sound like it might explode at any given second. It is very reliable. While we are in a time of life that needs a little assistance, I never have to wonder where my next meal will come from. I know that my baby is fed and he has a safe, happy life with love all around. I know that this time of living off of borrowed money will one day end and I will be fortunate enough to help those that are in need.
I realize that most of the time, situations like I witnessed this morning are a direct result from choices made in the lives of those who suffer. I know that sometimes the system is used and abused. Nevertheless, my heart feels for those who are less fortunate than me. When I go to WIC, I often wonder...do I really need this help? Because I know there are so many other people out there that are much worse off than me. And while I am not in a situation where I can help in any way, I desire more than ever to do so. I hope that one day, all the world's suffering will end, and everybody can know the happiness I know, and experience the love I experience every day.
I was very humbled today. I am very blessed. And I am VERY grateful!
**disclaimer**i have nothing against hand me downs or garage sales. i am just sad to know that for some people, those are their only options.
1 comment:
i feel the same way about feeling blessed. also, i have been blessed by many a garage sale. =) blessings are everywhere! we just have to see it!
Post a Comment