Yesterday was my birthday. This month is Derek's OBGYN rotation. If you put the two together...you gotta know there's trouble...they won't mix. So I suggested we wait till the weekend when Derek won't be on call to go out to dinner. He told me not to worry about it, that it would work out. So the plans were to go out after he got home from work. A lady from our ward called earlier and offered to watch Peyson. So it was settled. 6:00 dinner date without the kiddo!
At about 5:50 I get a text...emergency c-section...is that ok? :)Big sigh...I knew it:)
Earlier Derek came home for lunch looking very defeated...his doctor has agreed to take him on this rotation as a personal favor to the dean...so he isn't set up for teaching. Over the weekend Derek got to participate in 6 deliveries in 24 hours and they seemed to be getting along very well. But today there was some misunderstanding along with two deliveries Derek wasn't called in for so Derek felt like the doctor was losing interest already, which is bad concidering this is what Derek wants to do for the rest of his life. He wants the full experience. So to be able to observe a c-section was like frosting on a crumbling cake. He had to be there. This I understood. I could handle waiting another hour.
When 7:30 rolled around, my belly was putting up a fight and so was Peyson. He was looking out the front window crying out for daddy to come home so he could go play with friends. It was looking pretty hopeless so I decided to just take him over to play for a little while anyway. As I was walking up the front steps, the phone rang. "Drop him off...I'm on my way." Hurray! What looked to be a sad evening turned into a great one. We don't ever get to go to dinner alone. And even though it was quite a late dinner for me, I'm surprised I didn't get sick, it was well worth the wait. I didn't have to stress about Peyson throwing food on the floor or eating crayons instead of coloring or not eating anything we ordered for him or screaming to get out of the high chair. Instead, we got to spend the evening, just being us.
As for the convenience or inconvenience of emergency c-sections or any delivery for that matter, I suppose I better get used to it. This will soon be our reality. I can end up resenting him forever, or..........or..........or I can be the understanding "put on a happy face" wife that he needs me to be. Don't worry though...last night the happy face was real. It was just what I needed.
1 comment:
Hopefully after rotations and residency things will get a little better, right? I am glad you had a somewhat good birthday.
Post a Comment