When we lived in Kirksville there were a bazillion crafty sewers that made such cute things. It wasn't until the spring before we moved away that I found interest in sewing again. I also found a really cute craft blog that had a lot of fun stuff I wanted to make. I thought it would be handy for hemming and quick fixes too, so I bought a sewing machine. It sat on a chair in my kitchen until we moved. Then it sat down in the basement until just about 3 weeks ago when I stopped being lazy and indecisive and just made a quilt.
A really cool girl I know has a really cute blog. I found inspiration there. See, when I found out I was pregnant I wanted to make a puff quilt like this one...but you have to have a special foot for your machine that costs at least $30, and it takes a lot of fabric, and I don't have a handy fabric cutter thingy so it would have taken me forever! So when I saw this I fell in love. I had direction and quite an easy project that was very do-able.
One day I went into JoAnn Fabric and all I could do was look. It was way too overwhelming and I had Peyson. Enough said. But after I saw the blanket I wanted to make I was determined. One night I got on the JoAnn website and found some fabric I really liked. But only one piece. So I went back to JoAnns and wouldn't you know...the fabric was there. So I picked it up and started finding other cute patterns that went perfect with it. Here is what I came up with...
The top piece was the starter fabric. The others practically jumped off the shelf. I let the lady cutting the fabric do all the math because my brain couldn't figure it out. (did you know you are supposed to pick a number to get your fabric cut? :)figured that out when I didn't have the number she called out...she cut for me anyway)I got home and went to work. I cut and cut and cut. Then I pinned and pinned and pinned. When I was ready to sew I got out that machine that was dieing to be used. I learned how to thread it and how to wind the bobbin and off I went. At first I was thrilled that I set up the sewing machine without my moms help. Then I was giddy with the progress. Then I had some weird loose loopy sewing going on(turns out I was going too fast). Then I was determined to show that stupid thing I was smarter than it was. After 3 hours sitting and sewing, I realized my back was cramped beyond repair. It was well after midnight and Derek was at the hospital delivering babies. I got in the shower hoping that would relax my back. But it didn't. So I thought my super comfy bed would do the trick. Not so much. Scalding with a hot pad? NO! 3 extra strength Tylenol...umm...nope. If anybody knows me, they would know that I have no tolerance for pain. So what do I do when anything hurts? I cry...like a baby...uncontrollably...like that will fix everything. Can you believe that it didn't? Me neither. I texted Derek to see if there was anything else I could do...he said push liquids. That is no quick fix. So I had a drink of water:) and got back in the shower...only hot water...very hot water. I massaged my back where I could reach until my skin felt bruised. By then I suppose the Tylenol started working. I got back in bed and cried some more till I fell asleep.
After that I limited myself to an hour a night so that wouldn't happen again. I only sewed when Derek was on call or studying. Last night I finished sewing and turned on Hulu while I snipped the edges. It's done and I am in love! What do you think? 
I only broke one needle, bent two pins, ran out of bobbin 3 times, took apart one whole row to attain perfection, and poked myself a hand full of times. I can't wait to meet the little baby girl that will be using this cool cool super cute masterpiece!
10 comments:
Good job!! I don't think I could ever tackle something like that! What a lucky little girl to be getting such an adorable quilt!!
oh laura i love it!!!!! yay!!! i'm seriously so happy that someone actually tried it and used my tutorial. :) yay!! you picked darling fabrics .... it turned out great!!!
hope you keep sewing :)
now that you've conquered this, you can do anything!
hope your back is doing ok. xoxo!
Wow! You're amazing. And you did it so quickly! Anything like that would take me months...and months...and maybe years.
Love the cute blanket!
LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!! Great job friend! I'm so jealous of your talent =)
I love it. I think we think the same because I was going to get fabric this week for the same type of quilt and what do you know, those are kira's nursery colors. I hope mine will turn out as cute as yours
SOOOo cute! I love it!
Turned out so so cute. I've been wanting to make one too ever since I saw it on Sara's blog. Now if I could just find the motivation---and a cute fabric store :) Hope your back is feeling better, pregnancy rocks!
So cute! I love it!
Perfect! I totally want one now! Your little girl is very lucky; you're awesome!
That is so darling! So happy to find that you have a blog... I'm adding you to my "list" right now. Hope all is well on this icy morning. It is sooo slick out this morning... so I'm just staying in!
Post a Comment