Last night I was open shop for updos and making pretty. I had two girls at my house, and 3 more to come later when there was a knock at the door. My neighbor Halee came in. She explained that her dad (who isn't very active in her life) was gone on a truck driving route and was unable to take her to the daddy daughter dance. She asked if Derek would like to take her.
I thought to myself...he would never go for that...so I tried to think up a good excuse for him. But I just couldn't. So I told her I would ask and see what he said. After an extensive texting session, with all the details out on the table, he agreed to go.
I have never loved him more! I was "that girl" with no dad to be my escort, so I knew how much it meant to Halee that he did it.
I attempted to start dinner during the 5th updo...burnt the hamburger to pieces. So I finished making pretty all these tween girls and Derek cleaned up very nicely himself. I decided it would be fun just to take Halee out to eat (not something she gets to enjoy often) and I let her pick where we went. We didn't have much time so it had to be fast food. Do you know how big the smile on her face was when she got to pick McDonalds?
My heart is so full! Derek is such an amazing man. He very easily could have said no. I expected he would. But he didn't. He made a wonderful night for a girl with less than ideal living circumstances, in a broken home, looking for love. When my dad was gone, I was thrilled when my uncle took me. I had a home and a family who loved me. I can't imagine how happy Halee felt.
While I have a testimony of service and the joy it brings, I am still amazed every time at how good I feel when I serve with love , or see service lovingly given. I know that Halee was loving it, but I am sure I loved it more. Last night I witnessed a pure Christ-like love. And I loved it!
4 comments:
Derek, that is so nice! My husband would probably not have gone for that either. I'm so proud of you! Laura had better keep you ;)
My heart melted when I heard what Derek did for Haylee. Your family is something special...seriously, I learn so much from you both so often.
So cute that you went to McDonald's before the dance. :)
-Stephanie...not Brendon :)
awesome. hopefully he knows that what he did for that girl was something she will remember forever. and one day, when she is introduced to the gospel, she will remember the nice guy that did something christlike for her.
and nice of you to do hair!
ROFL...well...sorry about the burger but it all worked out the way it was meant to ;)
I love this story. It was one of those nights that when I reflect on Kirksville, I will forever think of the night that Laura did my kids' hair and their Daddy loved on them and Derek did a most amazing thing.
Post a Comment